[Fixed] Your Input Can't be Opened: VLC is Unable to Open the MRL
VLC is a service provider and meanwhile it's also a troublemaker, endless yet varied types of errors popping up. Among them, here comes most common error - "your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the mrl". This issue is peaking over the horizon when you try to open and play media file that isn't saved on your local computer in VLC. How to solve this VLC error? Stay here 3 minutes reading the below post to get most effective solutions!
Let's fix VLC unable to open the MRL error now:
Solution 1: Check if the Video Source is Intact
Sometimes, it's not VLC but the video source to blame. Before you conduct further action towards VLC player, copy and paste the video source URL to another video player to have a test. If the video source is working, the source is valid. If not, you're demanded to change another one.
Solution 2: Restart Your Computer
Restart your computer to help you refresh your operating system and get rid of any corrupted temporary data that have potential risk to result in this VLC unable to open the MRL error. Afterwards, re-launch your computer and VLC to see if this error gets fixed.
Solution 3: Update or Re-install VLC
Update your VLC media player to the latest version. Or uninstall VLC and re-install VLC on your PC/macOS to have a try.
- Press Windows key + R to open a new Run box.
- Type "appwiz.cpl" and hit Enter to activate the Programs and Features window > locate to VLC media player and then right-click on it > select Uninstall/change.
- Follow the popping-up message to uninstall VLC media player from your system and restart your computer if prompted to do so.
- Go to https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ > re-download and re-install the latest version of VLC Media Player.
Solution 4: Disable Firewall Settings
Firewalls would block the necessary portals your VLC player needed to stream video source. To solve this issue, you need to turn off firewall.
- Press Windows Key + I to pop up Settings.
- Type "Windows Defender Firewall" in search box and tap "Windows Defender Firewall".
- Hit "Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off" on the left side of the window.
- Choose "Turn off Windows Defender Firewall" boxes under both the settings.
Turn to VLC player to check if the unable to open the MRL error still exists. If not, turn on Firewall and add VLC player to its exception list.
Solution 5: Exit antivirus software
In case the shutdown of firewall still doesn't get this error fixed, try to exit antivirus software like Windows Security, McAfee, Avast, AVG, etc. For instance, if you're using Windows Security on your PC, choose Start > Settings > Update & Security. Find out Windows Security, tap Virus & threat protection under its options and select Manage settings Switch Real-time protection to OFF. Now your antivirus software is deactivated. As for other antivirus software, the operating steps are much of a muchness. Google it if the nitty-gritty guide is needed.
Solution 6: Claim file ownership
This solution works in general cases. Nonsense aside, let's cut to the chase. How to claim file ownership?
- Right-click on the video that is embroiled with this error and choose Properties.
- Go for Security tab under Properties menu > tap Advanced button associated with Permissions.
- Opt for Change > type "Administrator" on the popping-up box associated with Enter the object name to select and press OK.
- Click the box associated with Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object > hit Apply.
Now open, stream and play this video on VLC player again to check if it works this time.
Solution 7: Fix this error on Windows for YouTube
YouTube is currently the most popular online video site in the globe. When users goolge how to fix VLC is unable to open the MRL error for online videos, online videos usually come from YouTube platform. Considering the huge user base, here we specifically share the solution to fix this error for YouTube on Windows.
- Rename the downloaded youtube.lua file to youtube.luac
- Copy this video file and then paste it to C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\
That's all. It's all simplicity. Try it now to fix "Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL" from YouTube error.
Still have problem in solving this VLC error? Or you have better solutions? Please contact us via Email >>>
VLC is Still Unable to Open the MRL? Download Video to Local Computer!
If, unfortunately, the above-mentioned solutions still fail to get your problem solved, go to the last but not least solution - free download online videos to your local drive on computer. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is glad to render help for you. It enables you to free download videos of any format and any resolution (8K/4K/2K) from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Vevo, etc. 1000+ video sites in bulk and to support you converting video format to your desired format if necessary. Give it a whirl!