First let's see a set of facts:
1. Apple started its plan to kill optical drive in 2012 and it's almost completed now.
2. Still, thousands of millions of people are holding a mass of old discs, and maybe are buying new movie DVDs, having no idea how to cope with them.
Although online streaming service is rising, DVD disc has not been ditched at all. But we do need to catch up with trends, by ripping DVD to computer/home server in digital formats, which basically can be realized with free DVD rippers, such as HandBrake. Mac users may get trapped by how to backup DVD with no DVD drive. Well, there are two ways: get an external drive or rip DVD to Mac on Windows PC.
Note: Handbrake is no doubt great, especially for Mac OS, ripping DVD fast at simple steps. But free things always come with limitations. If you are trying to rip copy protected DVD to Mac with HandBrake, it's time to get a HandBrake alternative.
Ultimately, if you want a fast, effective, and fairly user-friendly DVD-ripping solution, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is the way to go.
If you have a friend that wants to watch movies on their computer, iPad, smartphone, or any other device, a premium DVD ripper like WinX's offering can be a nice gift.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum does a very good job backing up and transcoding your DVD collection, including your copy-protected discs. It worked flawlessly in my tests.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a very comfortable easy to use DVD ripper that worked fine with every DVD we asked it to rip.
HandBrake is compatible with various platforms, such as Mac, Windows, Ubuntu and others. Due to the lack of external optical drive, we choose to get HandBrake for Windows and do the DVD to Mac ripping test. Follow the next steps and let's learn how to rip DVD to Mac.
Step 1. Download and install HandBrake
1. Download HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI-1.exe from its official site (https://handbrake.fr/). The latest version for Windows Vista or later is 0.10.5.
2. Open the .exe file and follow the wizard to get it installed, which normally takes you several seconds.
3. Open this DVD ripper for Mac.
Step 2. Load source DVD and set output file
1. Click Source in the top left corner, choose DVD disc, e.g. H:\ (TRANSFORMERS2_DISC1), and a banner pops up saying "Scanning source, please wait".
Note: Common ones will be loaded successfully right away, while copy protected ones like Disney DVD will end in error after scanning up to 99 titles one by one. To rip encrypted DVD to Mac, please turn to WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
2. Select MP4 as Container under the Output settings first. HandBrake only offers two video format containers, MP4 and MKV. Lucky for us, Mac OS does support MP4, thanks to its wide compatibility with almost all devices and players. Then go to the Video part, and here comes the most complicated thing - parameters calculating. | [Guide] How to calculate video quality/size using HandBrake
NOTE: If you are totally new to the terms like bit rate, frame rate, resolution, etc, parameter calculating will be too hard to understand, especially the different encoding methods: 1 pass, 2 pass, CRF, and the like. We've tested ripping DVD to Mac (MP4) using all ways it provides, and the results show that 1 pass rips fastest however with unbearable image scenes while CRF reaches the best balance among time, quality and file size. So the next is our recommendation:
• Container: MP4
• Video Codec: H.264 (X264)
• Quality: Contant Quality RF
• Framerate (FPS): same as source
• H.264 Profile: High (takes longer time than the main profile)
Step 3. Start ripping DVD to Mac free
1. Click Browse to set the file destination.
2. Press Start button right beside Source and wait. Normally, ripping a 2.5h DVD disc to Mac/PC/MP4 needs about 30 minutes, output in a 2GB around file.
Unblock all encrypted DVDs on PC for playing on Mac OS device.WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
HandBrake, as we mentioned, is truly free and fast. The only one thing left to puzzle us is that if we can find a best HandBrake alternative that can cope with encrypted DVDs while keeping the fast DVD ripping speed? Certainly yes. Where HandBrake disappoints you, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum picks up the slack.
HandBrake vs. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
1. Both of this two DVD to Mac rippers rips DVD disc/ISO/VIDEO_TS folder fast, out of Super Encode Engine, Hyper-threading tech and kinds of encoding methods. As to the main interface, HandBrake looks more complicated because of too many adjustable settings.
2. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is built in with 350+ profiles, facilitating output file/gadget selection. Moreover, it enables full copy of DVD movies within only 5 minutes. Although HandBrake only has MP4 and MKV, in fact it meets the needs of most people.
3. [Most Important] WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can bypass all DVD copy protections, incl. DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project DRM, and constantly update to support new encrypted DVDs. Install libdvdcss and HandBrake may access CSS. As for others, HandBrake has no solutions at least for now.
1. Download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum free trial or go get a full Giveaway version with license on its 2016 Christmas events.
2. After the installation, launch the program and click DVD Disc to load the file. Normally main title will be auto selected, meaning that copy protection has been unblocked.
3. Two options:
• Output Profile window -> General Profiles -> MP4 Video (Recommended)
• Output Profile window -> Mac General Video -> MP4/MOV/M4V (MPEG4/H264)
4. Set a destination folder and click RUN. If any error happens, select Safe Mode and try again.
Note: The software developer only advocates copying DVDs to Mac for personal use and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so. Still have trouble about how to rip copy protected DVD? Please feel free to Email Us >>
To fast rip protected DVDs to Mac, PC, MP4, AVI, MPEG, iPhone, iPad, Android/Microsoft devices, please just download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.