- What video format do ALL macs have? I'm creating a powerpoint presentation and am converting it to video to be played on computers so that powerpoint doesn't need to be installed on clients computers. Thank you!
Indeed, as WMV is for windows, the very native video for a Mac computer is MOV. You can import video files like MOV, QT, MPEG-4, M4V, H.264, 3GP, MP3, AAC, etc to QuickTime Player. And MOV is the most common one. Since QuickTime Player is the default player for all Mac desktop and notebook types, be it iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook or Mac Pro, the video formats supported by QuickTime will also be compatible with Mac computer running OS X v10.6.x or later, or even the latest macOS Sierra.
* Mac supported video file formats: QuickTime Movie (.mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v), MPEG-2 (OSX 10.0-10.6 are exclusive), MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD (OSX 10.0-10.7 are exclusive), AVI ((Motion JPEG only), DV;
* Mac supported video codecs: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, H.263 H.261, Apple ProRes, Apple Pixlet, Animation, Cinepak, Component Video, DV, DVC Pro 50, Graphics, Motion JPEG, Photo JPEG, Sorenson Video 2, Sorenson Video 3, H.263, H.261, Apple ProRes, Apple Pixlet, Animation, Cinepak, Component Video, DV, DVC Pro 50, Graphics, Motion JPEG, Photo JPEG, Sorenson Video 2, Sorenson Video 3
* Mac supported audio file formats: M4A, m4b, .m4p (all are iTunes audio), MP3, Core Audio (.caf), AIFF, AU, SD2, WAV, SND, AMR
* Mac supported audio codecs: AAC, HE-AAC, Apple Lossless,MP3, AMR Narrowband, MS ADPCM, QDesign Music 2, Qualcomm PureVoice (QCELP), IMA 4:1, MACE 3:1 (Mac OS X 10.6.x only), MACE 6:1 (Mac OS X 10.6.x only), ALaw 2:1, ULaw 2:1, Integer (24-bit, 32-bit), Floating Point (32-Bit,64-Bit)
Not all Mac supported video formats can be called the best video formats for Mac, but the following three surely can:
• MOV: Using the special compression algorithm developed by Apple's Mac, MOV is a very common multimedia format often used for saving movies and other video files, compatible with both Macintosh and Windows platforms. It is the born video format for QuickTIme of Mac.
• MP4: MP4, as an abbreviated term for MPEG-4 Part 14, is an international standard that has more support. It is a container format, allowing a combination of audio, video, subtitles and still images to be held in the one single file. It also allows for advanced content such as 3D graphics, menus and user interactivity. MP4 files are supported by many video programs and various hardware devices, Sony PSP and various DVD players, most DirectShow/Video for Windows codec packs.
• M4V: M4V video file format is developed by Apple Inc., who uses it to flag as a video file and attach it to iTunes, by encoding TV episodes, movies, and music videos in the iTunes Store under official DRM copy protection; therefore, put it in other way, the copy-protected Apple video using FairPlay DRM copyright protection on the basis of MPEG-4 AVC video compression. It can be played directly by QuickTime Player, VLC, RealPlayer, DAPlayer, MPayer and some other HD video players.
But please note that both the MOV and MP4 container formats can use the same MPEG-4 formats, so almost they are interchangeable in a QuickTime-only environment.
Indeed, the supported video formats of Mac QuickTime can be extended by use of some third-party codec plug-ins. But perhaps you need to install a pile of such components one by one to make it more supportive. And in many cases, users are afraid of the adware and malware. So there is another once-and-for-all way to make all kinds of videos playable on MacBook, iMac, MacMini and Mac Pro running even on OS X 10.11.4, no matter what version of OS it is running – by converting AVI (DivX, Xvid), MPEG,WMV, AVCHD, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, WebM, Google TV, 3GP, etc to Mac supported videos with the best Mac video converter in the following procedure.
A. If you want to convert videos on Mac, just download WinX HD Video Converter for Mac on any type of Mac computer;
B. If you want to convert videos existing on your Windows to Mac videos, just download WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe on PC.
Their operations of converting one video to Mac accept one work in the same way. Here please allow me to take converting MKV to Mac supported video MOV as an illustration:
Step 1: Click "+Video" button, browse in the computer, find an MKV file as the source video, click Open and start importing it;
Step 2: Scroll download on the Output Profile interface to the lowest, find and click "Mac General Video", choose either MOV Video (MPEG4) or MOV Video (H264) as the output format and click OK. Certainly, the other listed Mac profiles, say, MP4 and M4V are also good. You can choose among LQ, standard and HQ;
Step 3: Hit RUN button on the right to start convert the video to be Mac compatible. >>To Read Full and Detailed User Guide
Q: What can I do if I need to shift my videos from Windows to Mac?
A: Convert MKV, M2TS, AVI, WMV, ASF and so on to MOV or any Mac supported formats with WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe on Windows PC, and transfer the videos to Mac. Similarly, you can move these video files to your Mac at first step, and then convert them to Mac videos with the help of WinX HD Video Converter for Mac.
Q: Will my PC play the Mac videos, or vice versa?
A: Many windows computers will play mov videos, but some fail and need a plug-in to do it. The most universal codec there is would be avi-xvid. Granted this is more intel than mac, but mac will play it. This is your best idea for a cross platform, go with AVI, open the QT Player> Edit > QT Preferences> File types.
Q: What format to make my powerpoint presentation compatible with my Mac?
A: As explained above, MOV, MP4 (H.264) and M4V are the most recommended formats for Mac. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe (for Windows) or WinX HD Video Converter for Mac will help you convert all incompatible videos to be Mac supported videos with suitable specifications.
Still have some trouble about Mac Supported Video Formats? Please feel free to Mail Us >>
You are enabled to change and convert any kinds of source videos to Mac supported video and video files by WinX HD Video Converter for Mac or WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe! It can also help play back videos on iPhone/iPad/Android/Microsoft devices, download videos from YouTube directly, edit videos and make photo slideshow. Moreover, the Mac edition can record videos and Mac screens at ease.
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.