How to Compress MOV Video File with Smaller Size, Better Quality
Our life is within our phone. Woke up by the morning call and drive to work with the GPS, order food by click in a row. You are at travel, instinctly picture the astonishing view by taking out your phone. Awkwardly you found your system gets sluggish & slow, because of those big, big clips capped the save space in your phone. That could be a decent reason, we need to compress your .MOV video.
Of course, you can make a ZIP of your MOV videos for smaller size. But in order not to be disturbed with decompression in next-time playback, you're still recommended to reduce the original oversized 4K/HD MOV file size with a piece of video compression software.
Your Must-Have MOV Video Compressor – WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
• Convert MOV to H.264, HEVC and other advanced formats featuring higher compression ratio to reduce video file size.
• Compress 4K/HD MOV files to 1080p, 720p or more for smoothly running on low-end computers.
• With Hardware Acceleration tech by utilizing Intel QSV/NVIDIA NVENC, it boosts video compression speed and ensures the possible highest quality (nearly lossless) after resizing thanks to hardware processing.
Part 1. What Factors Are Affecting MOV File Size
iPhone gives us the information about the size of one-minute recorded MOV video:
• 60 MB with 720p HD at 30 fps > 130 MB with 1080p HD at 30 fps
• 175 MB with 1080p HD at 60 fps > 350 MB with 4K at 30 fps > 400MB with 4K at 60 fps in HEVC
Learn more about iPhone 4K MOV Video Size >>
How does this list seemingly indicate that video file size can be affected by resolution and frame rate? A video in higher resolution commonly features higher bit rate so that you may get a bigger MOV file with higher resolution. Frame rate tells how many frames (consecutive images) appear on a display per second. If you get a video with variable bit rate, frame rate can affect video file size. Higher frame rate shows that more frames appear per seconds leading to higher bit rate and larger size.
Nowadays, advanced video compression standards are developed to obtain the same level of quality while using lower bit rate – for example, HEVC, H.264, VP9 – making videos become smaller but maintain high quality.
Depending on different situations, you can choose to transcode video, shorten duration, adjust bit rate/frame rate or downscale resolution to compress MOV.
Part 2. Which Program is Qualified to Reduce MOV File Size With High Quality
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe stands out as an easy-to-use video compressor which excels at reducing video file size in a few clicks. With the support of hundreds of video codecs, it allows you to convert MOV to HEVC, H.264, VP9 etc, with smaller size. Video trimming feature helps you to cut unwanted or NG parts off whole video. Certainly, video/audio parameters incl. bit rate, frame rate, resolution can be customized as you like.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe wraps Hardware Acceleration tech to greatly increase efficiency and performance to compress 4K/HD MOV videos. The utilization of Intel QSV and NVIDIA NVENC accelerates video encoding/decoding speed while lowering down CPU usage for other tasks. Not only for speed, can video quality be reserved in maximum (almost lossless) thanks to Hardware Acceleration.
Part 3. Step-by-step Guide on How to Compress a MOV file to Smaller Size with Better Quality
Free download & install WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe on your PC/Mac. Then, follow the steps below to compress MOV files. By the way, this tutorial also includes a MOV compression test.
Step 1. Input a MOV File
Launch WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe and click + Video button to add the source MOV file.
Step 2. Compress and Transcode MKV File, for example, Compress MOV to MP4.
Except MP4, there are a wide range of formats for you to choose, such as compress MOV to HEVC, AVI, FLV, WMV, M4V, etc. Just select a favorable format as output format, then click OK.
1. MP4 Video (codec: H.264+aac) is the most recommended format for it not only delivers a best balance between size & quality, it has also the highest compatibility with applications and devices. Although HEVC is another available choice which doubles data compression ratio than H.264, it requires better hardware and lacks of wide compatibility at present.
2. 2K MP4 Video is preset as an output format enabling you to downscaling 4K to 2K directly.
Optional Step. Cut MOV Video
Click Edit button. Select Trim tab and click Enable Trim option. Two cursors appear at the start and end of the process bar under preview window. Drag them to select desired parts. You can also manually input specific start/end time. After that, click Apply to All.
Step 3. Adjust Parameters
Click the gear button to access to video/audio settings window. Bit rate, frame rate and resolution can be lowered for video downsizing.
1. If the bit rate is constant, it is useless to reduce file size via decreasing resolution and frame rate. If you have decreased bit rate, a lower resolution may deliver better image quality.
2. If the bit rate is variable, you can decrease frame rate to make video smaller. But it may influence image smoothness – with mosaics.
3. If you have a low-end device or computer, it is suggested to lower bit rate, resolution and frame rate of MOV (especially for 4K MOV) for a smooth playback. But if you have a powerful device/computer or want to keep a super quality after uploading online, you'd better only transcode and trim MOV.
Step 4. Turn on Hardware Acceleration to Speed up the MOV Compression Process
Check one of Hardware Encoders (Intel or nVIDIA according to your GPU) to accelerate the mov compression and maintain best output quality.
Step 5. Start Compressing the MOV File
Click Browse button to define a new folder to save the compressed file if necessary. Click RUN button to start reducing MOV file size while preserving best output quality.
Test Computer: Windows 10 Education 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4460; 8GB RAM
Transcoding + Trimming
Verdict: Video codec plays a definitive role in video compression processing which can reduce bit rate considerably while preserving the same level of quality. If you try to compress a large MOV video, it is believed that transcoding + trimming can fairly make you satisified.
Free Download #1 FAST Video Transcoder and Compressor for PC and Mac
• Transcode videos with 370+ inputs and 420+ outputs support incl. HEVC, H.264, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MKV, MTS, MPEG2 etc.
• Compress 4K/HD and large video files into a smaller size while keeping original video quality for web, emails, sns and more.
• Apply basic editings to crop/trim/merge videos; add subtitles and customize video/audio parameters.
• Take full advantage of hardware acceleration (Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC) to greatly speed up video encoding, decoding and processing while lowering CPU usage.
Video Tutorial on How to Compress MOV Files without Quality Loss
Related External Source from Wiki: Bit rate - The bit rate is quantified using the bits per second unit (symbol: "bit/s"), often in conjunction with an SI prefix such as "kilo" (1 kbit/s = 1,000 bit/s), "mega" (1 Mbit/s = 1,000 kbit/s), "giga" (1 Gbit/s = 1,000 Mbit/s) or "tera" (1 Tbit/s = 1000 Gbit/s)...
 Resolution - The display resolution or display modes of a digital television, computer monitor or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed...
 Frame rate - Frame rate (expressed in frames per second or fps) is the frequency (rate) at which consecutive images called frames appear on a display. The term applies equally to film and video cameras, computer graphics, and motion capture systems...
 Video compression standard/Video coding format - A video coding format (or sometimes video compression format) is a content representation format for storage or transmission of digital video content (such as in a data file or bitstream). Examples of video coding formats include MPEG-2 Part 2, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10), HEVC, Theora, RealVideo RV40, VP9, and AV1...
Still have trouble on how to compress MOV, just Mail Us >>