Best MPG to MP4 Converter | How to Convert MPG to MP4 Windows 10/7 and Mac
Comparison between MPG and MP4/MPG and MPEG, with detailed guide on MPG to MP4 conversion
.MPG File Extension
Developer: MPEG | Category: Video file extension
Video container: MPEG Video File | Video coding formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2
Natively supported by: Windows,
What Is a MPG File?
MPG file, or rather .mpg, is one of the file extensions for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files. It does not stand for media container or video/audio formats. What sounds more familiar to you might be MPEG, which has limits in compatibility for playback. For example, you can't play MPG on iPhone.
Best Free Media Player to Play MPG/MP4
Over 5,000,000 downloads on Softonic - Play MKV, AVCHD, 4K MP4 UHD/HD, SD MP4, MPG, MPEG1/2, H.264, M4V, WEBM, etc 450+ videos with 5KPlayer.
MP4 Video File
Developer: MPEG | Category: Video container formats
Video coding formats: HEVC/H.265/MPEG-H Part 2, MPEG-2 Part 2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.263, VC-1, Dirac and others
Natively supported by: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, etc
Why Should You Convert MPG to MP4?
Due to its unique high compression algorithm and wide compatibility, MP4 has long been the first option to most medias for streaming online. And people prefer to download movies in MP4 for playing on iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, Mac, TV, etc. Also they reencode videos into MP4 for uploding and sharing for its best balance between quality and file size, which of course requires you a best MPG to MP4 converter software.
The Best Free MPG to MP4 Converter
WinX Video Converter (for Win & Mac) ● Free batch convert MPG to MP4, H.264, WMV, AVI, iPhone, iPad, etc.
● Convert MPG to MP4 while remaining vivid image with High Quality Engine
● 15-20x realtime converting speed with Super Transcoding Engine & more.
● Advanced video editor: trim/merge, remove letterbox, add subtitles...
How to Convert MPG to MP4 Free with WinX Video Converter
"How to convert mpg to mp4 with good quality? I am trying to convert mpg files to mp4 files so I can edit them on my Mac and later make a DVD out of them. I have tried programs online such as Format Factory and Handbrake, but after converting the file the quality is always reduced. How can I convert MPG to MP4, so that I can have at least the same quality that I have on the camera? Any good softwares out there?"
Step 1. Free get a MPG to MP4 converter
• Download WinX Video Converter for Windows here as an example.
• Double click the .exe file, follow the setup wizard and finish the installation. Then launch the program.
Step 2. Load your MPG video file.
• Click "+ Video" in the top left corner and browse to add the MP4 source video.
• Or just drag and drop the file into the main interface, which will be auto loaded here.
Step 3. Set "MP4" as the output format
• The Output Profile window will auto pop up after the file loading, you can find "MP4 Video (Recommended), Codec: h264+aac" in "General Profiles" and then click OK.
• Or based on your need, feel free to choose MP4 Video (MPEG4 + AAC), MP4 Video (MPEG4 + MP3) in "PC General Video" category.
Step 4. Convert MPG to MP4 video
• Browse to set your preferred destination folder.
• Press button "RUN" to start converting MPG to MP4. Later you can directly find the re-encoded file by clicking "Open".
[Optional] Editing features
1. If you want to convert MPG to MP4 while keeping a good view quality, please slide to HQ when choosing MP4 Video (Recommended), which would take a little bit more time
2. Also checking "High Quality Engine" on the main interface will help you achieve this.
3. If your computer allows, you can convert MPG to MP4 at a comparatively much faster speed by using hardware accelaration Intel QSV or Nvidia CUDA/NVENC.
4. Multiple editing functions are all available for you to trim video clips, cut off black borders, change aspect ratio, merge several videos into one, add subtitles, etc.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe - an All-In-One Video Converter
Convert videos from and to any formats playable on iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, Xbox, etc.
100% stable conversion process guaranteed. Also compress, download and edit videos.
CPU and GPU hardware encoders enabled - Intel QSV, Nvidia CUDA/NVENC, and AMD;
Compatible with Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (32 & 64 bit) & macOS X 10.6 - 10.14.