What is UltraViolet System?
What is UltraViolet?
UV (its full name UltraViolet) here refers to the term exclusively in DVD / Blu-ray field. Nowadays, most of the DVD and Blu-ray are and will be released with digital copies using a brand-new cloud system called UltraViolet. It gives rights to purchasers to stream and download movie content to multiple platforms restricted to the account, each registered account being bound with up to 12 devices.
So far, there have been 74 film studios, retailers, consumer electronics manufacturers, cable TV companies, ISPs, network hosting vendors, system and security vendors are the members to apply UV digital copy system, including the main divisions as follows:
o Sony Pictures Entertainment
o Fox Entertainment Group
o Paramount Motion Pictures Group
o Warner Bros. Entertainment
o DreamWorks Animation
With the assistant of CENC encryption system, UltraViolet files are usually encrypted with AES keys under DRM systems. They use fragmented MPEG-4 container format, H.264/AVC video, stereo MPEG-4 AAC LC audio and SMPTE Timed Text.
Usage of UltraViolet - What Can UV Digital Copy Do?
Similar to another free multimedia streaming app – Air Playit, which enables to change people’s traditional DVD playing way by streaming any music and video to iPhone iPad Apple anywhere, the main uses of UV system are as follows:
- Download and transfer onto physical media (e.g. DVDs, SD cards, flash memory);
- Play DVD movie on PC, TV, game consoles, Blu-ray players, mobile phones and tablets through UltraViolet player registered to the household account;
- Stream over the Internet;
- Access media without any use of storage and bandwidth.
The Limits and Disadvantages of UV System
There are so many functions brought about by UltraViolet, but what are the limitations, or say, what is UV system not able to do?
- UV will not play on devices which are not compatible with UltraViolet. That is to say, it is impossible for UV user to stream DVD to Apple iPhone, iPad, iTouch, etc.;
- UltraViolet is not a "cloud storage" platform, so it does not store files;
- UltraViolet files are usually DRM  encrypted to disenable the copy or edition of movie content;
- UV system is only applied to the purchased movie content, not all DVD movies. Especially, it will never support Disney produced films and DVDs until Walt Disney Company joins in DECE.
Why Copy DVD when You Already Have UV Digital Copy?
1. DVD backup: UV system does not allow copying the DVD movie content, but just the playback on multiple devices. However, it is inevitable that kids and pets may "make motions" on the disc; if not, DVD may not escape from wind erosion;
2. Include Apple and Disney movies: Since Disney is developing Keychest format and Apple using iCloud, the two giants are not the members of DECE. So UV system does not support stream and download Disney movie to Apple iOS device.
3. Some concerns still exist in streaming, like slow speed, unsmooth playing, network dependence, etc;
4. What are streaming for playback is not real. They are virtual data stored on the server, so users are not the owners of the content.
So, in order to play any kinds of DVDs on any portable devices more smoothly without network connection, a DVD ripper software tool is a necessity to rip DVD to iPhone, iPod, iPad (Mini/4), HTC, Surface, Kindle Fire and so on. Thereafter, there will be real DVD content or video file on the hard drive to enable movie backup, offline playback and video edition.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum: Advanced version of free WinX DVD Ripper. Besides converting DVD to AVI at fastest speed in excellent quality, also converting DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, FLV, M2TS, TS, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, Sony, Nokia, Asus, Acer, etc. Makes perfect 1:1 DVD to ISO image/DVD folder copy and clone DVD to multi-track MPEG2 file with 5 minutes only. Constantly update to defeat upcoming DVD copy protections.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac: Mac version WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, best DVD converter for Yosemite/Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard, convert DVD to MP4, H.264, MOV, M4V videos that are playable on Mac computer, as well as DVD to iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Air Playit, Android, etc.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe: Built in hundreds of A/V codecs and equipped with Online Dailymotion/Facebook/YouTube Video Downloader and Photo Slideshow Maker functions. As all-in-one HD Video Converter software, it helps you transcode HD video formats like convert AVCHD M2TS to MKV, convert Blu-ray to MKV, H.265/MKV to MP4, etc. Moreover, it is embedded with numerous profile settings for Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Microsoft portable devices, iOS, Android, Windows mobiles. Convert MKV to iPhone, MKV to iPad are good examples.
WinX HD Video Converter for Mac: Professional HD Video converter for converting HD Videos on Mac OS, provides the perfect solution to convert Blu-ray videos and videos from HDTV and HD camcorders, like JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Cannon to other formats. Also act as a Mac screen and camera video recorder, slideshow maker, Online Dailymotion/Facebook/YouTube video downloader, etc. Running perfectly on Mac OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite.
Related External Source
DRM- Controversial access control technologies that are used by Amazon, AT&T, AOL, Apple Inc., BBC, Microsoft, Electronic Arts...
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
- WinX HD Video Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPhone Ripper
- WinX iPhone Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPhone Video Converter
- WinX iPhone Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPad Video Converter