Home > News > Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on
Microsoft Confirms Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on?
- Three years ago at E3 2006, Microsoft's former CEO, Bill Gates announced a Xbox 360 HD DVD player that was capable of playing HD-DVD's. After the bloody war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs was over and HD-DVD's were no more, Microsoft decided to discontinue the HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360.
- One of the ongoing frustrations for Xbox 360 owners is the absence of a Blu-ray accessory; they keep pestering Microsoft for one, and Microsoft keep rolling out the same "we have no plans" excuses. Finally, the company appears to be changing its tune, though it takes some between-the-lines reading of outspoken CEO Steve Ballmer in order to fathom it. Talking to Gizmodo, Ballmer told interviewer Wilson Rothman that "you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories".
- They pretty much told him that they have nothing to announce about physical Blu-ray drives, referring instead to their streaming plans:
- "Our immediate solution for Blu-ray-quality video on an Xbox 360 is coming this fall with Zune Video and 1080p instant-on HD streaming. As far as our future plans are concerned, we're not ready to comment." Microsoft PR
- Steve Ballmer maintains instead that the Zune Video (http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-to-zune/) Marketplace will be the only HD video option in the near future.
- That's enough for Gizmodo to suggest that an add-on Blu-ray drive might be on the cards at some point down the line, similar in fact to Microsoft's ill-fated HD-DVD drive for the 360. Alternatively, it could mean that Microsoft will allow third-party manufacturers to develop their own Blu-ray accessories.
- Recommend Related Software:
- WinX DVD to Zune Rippre:
Special designed for you to enjoy great videos on your Zune. Could convert most of DVD movies include which is protected.
- WinX Zune Video Converter:
Converting most popular video formats to Zune and PDA (PPC) video formats.