Home > News > Apple Releases a Security Patch for the iPhone
Apple Releases a Security Patch for the iPhone
- From New York Times by Riva Richmond, an Apple fix today could keep a hacker away from your iPhone. The test attack they created takes advantage of a flaw in the way the iPhone handles text messages. During their demonstration, researchers Charlie Miller and Collin Mulliner showed that a hacker could gain complete control over all iPhone functions, including making calls, visiting Web sites, accessing personal information on devices, and turning on its camera and microphone.
- Crucially, attackers could also use the device to send more malicious messages, potentially causing a “mass-gadget hijacking,” as Forbes put it on Tuesday. “Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this,” Mr. Miller told Forbes, the first to report the flaws.
- According to UK carrier O2, the SMS-based iPhone security hole that Charlie Miller unveiled on Black hat this week should be patched by this weekend. An O2 spokesperson claimed the update would be pushed through iTunes this Saturday, says BBC. Apple hasn't made a comment yet, and it's not perfectly clear that this will be an update for iPhones worldwide, but hopefully that's the case -- the security flaw certainly isn't geographically limited.
- The security experts also cautioned that the SMS hack could be carried out on Windows Mobile and Google platforms as well.
- In related news, security firm MX Logic reckons that iPhone-related scams will occur if demand outstrips supply of 3G versions of the iPhone, due to begin arriving on 11 July. Security watchers speculate that Apple has been focused on developing software for the next generation of the iPhone rather than addressing problems with version 1.x of the iPhone software.
- Related Software News
- WinX DVD Ripper and WinX Video Converter published by Digiarty are totally suitable for Apple gadget. These two software solutions could rip the content of DVDs to Apple gadget and convert different video formats to Apple supported video formats. Not only Apple gadgets, most of portable devices and all kinds of popular video format either. More related software information please visit: http://www.winxdvd.com.