Recently friends ask me how to open MKV file on Windows XP or Vista. I found some ways to open .mkv file in XP and Vista OS. Basically we need 3rd party plugin to open .mkv file. FYI, .mkv file is a open standard for video container.
Download the plugin in Matroska homepage. However, i do not really recommend due to the complexity of the download page and basically it's the same plugin as wat i mention above. Go to Free Download MKV Codec >>
Anyway, let me share my experience, when i first landed on their download page, i do not know which plugin to download and end up testing one by one, worst part is i able to open .mkv file but the sound is not loud enough even i on my volume to max. So stick to the top solution and enjoy your video.
At times you need MKV Converter Software
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is most popular MKV Converter software. It fully supports Multi-core CPU (i3, i5, i7), and armed with Hyper Threading Technology (Converting MKV by multi threads at the same time, speed up the conversion timely). That is why WinX MKV converter program can be the fastest solution in the current market. Free Download to Experience>>
Other Tips about MKV file
1. Convert M2TS to MKV: allows you make HD video source from internet to digital content that playable upon your Blu-ray player and PS3 Xbox.
2. Rip DVD to MKV for digital backup DVD content and watch MKV on PS3 Xbox and Blu-ray player.
3. Convert MKV to AVI, then you can get PC friendly video file to playback on computer smoothly.
4. Convert MKV to MP4, make your MKV video commonly used format on Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad.
5. Rip Blu-ray to MKV, remove all Blu-ray copy protections and shrinks 50GB BD movie to 10GB MKV file.
Related External Source
: Matroska MKV Video Knowledge from MKV Official Site